Healthcare Transparency & Patient Advocacy
Kentucky 45th in the Nation For Healthcare
Nov 9, 2012 Four-Points Sheraton, Lexington, Kentucky
Tihisha Rawlins - Resume
An ambitious and result-oriented professional with proven abilities in public administration. Proven abilities to direct through subordinate supervisors, the development and implementation of a state-wide health insurance assistance program. Able to identify areas of organizational strength and weakness and implement processes, standards and policies that optimize productivity and the bottom line. Proven ability to develop and maintain a comprehensive plan for optimal allocation of services in accordance with available resources and service standards to assure continuing federal support. Seven years of cutting-edge experience in public health administration in a variety of corporate and governmental settings, with specific expertise in:
§ Strategic planning, and health care policy analysis.
§ Program planning, development and management of innovative health programs.
§ Strategies and systems for health care outreach that reduce costs; improve quality and effectiveness of care; and improve access to care for beneficiaries.
§ Training for both professionals and volunteers in technical and laymen’s terms in advocacy, Medicare, Medicaid and other issues that effect older persons.
PROFESSIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE
Associate State Director of Grassroots Initiatives 2005 to present
• Develop strategies for educating members across
the Commonwealth about health care reform, health issues and other
• Create and educate legislative teams to deliver messages to congressional officials
• Plan, coordinate and implement trainings and workshops for members and the general public regarding advocacy, medication management, Divided We Fail and other issues important to the association
• Develop new partnerships with organizations beneficial to the organization
• Conduct effective grassroots and election campaigns around pertinent issues
Cabinet for Health and Family Services 2002-2005
Health Program Administrator – Division of Aging Services Frankfort, KY
• Plan, coordinate, maintain and evaluate a
comprehensive statewide public health program; define concepts and establish
the methodology and procedures to implement program services; plan and
direct preparation of budgets for the program; direct a staff of
professional and volunteer personnel.
• Establish close relationships with professional and community groups interested in the program; seek and draw upon other public and voluntary organizations for services, consultation and skills.
• Prepare and disseminate information about available programs to beneficiaries, professionals and media.
• Analyze and evaluate program implementation and effectiveness.
• Develop and coordinate recording and reporting systems used in the administration of public health programs.
• Monitor and assess ongoing programs; make field visits and consult with other department personnel in various areas of expertise.
• Conduct numerous trainings and presentations across the state to professionals and volunteers.
• Conduct public relations and liaison activities with local Area Agencies on Aging and local community groups in developing health care outreach services.
• Annually write the grant for the State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) and many supplemental grants.
Cabinet for Health Services 2001-2002
Internal Policy Analyst – Office of Aging Services Frankfort, KY
• Monitored project progress from start up through
implementation including timeline, critical path and dependencies.
• Maintained progress charts and prepared reports on work in progress throughout the department and work performed by outside stakeholders.
• Coordinated all legislative activities of the office including attending sessions in the House and Senate and reviewing all bills filled pertaining to aging issues.
• Conducted public relations activities from preparing press releases to staffing outreach events.
Kentucky Labor Cabinet 1998-2001
Industrial Hygienist – Department for Workplace Standards Frankfort, KY
• Evaluated health hazards, researched health
effects/risk, and consulted health programs.
• Recognized, assessed and evaluated health hazards in industry such as lead, cadmium, formaldehyde, hearing conservation, Bloodborne pathogens, etc.
• Collaborated with other health professionals and management to remove or control hazardous and potentially hazardous materials/conditions.
• Observed, analyzed and reported about industrial health problems and made recommendations for citation/penalty.
• Instructed employees about occupational health and accident prevention.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
2004 Master of Public Administration/Human Resource
Management, Kentucky State University, Frankfort, KY
2003 Certified Public Manager, Governmental Services Center, Frankfort, KY
1996 Bachelor of Science/Biology, Kentucky State University, Frankfort, KY
1992 High School Diploma, West Jefferson High School, Harvey, LA
• Elected to the Kentucky Association of
Gerontology Board of Directors
• Appointed EEO and ADA coordinator for the Division of Aging Services
• Graduate of the Governor’s Minority Management Trainee Program
• Featured in the inaugural edition of Who’s Who in Black Louisville