Healthcare Transparency & Patient Safety
Kentucky 42nd in the Nation For Healthcare
Nov 4, 2016 Four Points Sheraton, Lexington, Kentucky
Steven Tower, MD - Resume
Stephen Tower has practiced general orthopedics and arthroprosthetic surgery in Anchorage Alaska since 1992. He graduated from University of Washington – University of Alaska School of Medicine in 1983 and completed Orthopedic Surgery Residency at Oregon Health Sciences in 1992 after a prior career as a General Medical Officer in the Indian Health Service, Alaska division.
He is an Affiliated Professor of Medicine at the University of Alaska’s Anchorage WWAMI medical school campus and has a research interest in the failure modes of Total Hip Arthroplasty and the epidemiology of trauma and orthopedic conditions in Alaska.1-10
1. Beals RK, Tower SS. Periprosthetic fractures of the femur. An analysis of 93 fractures. Clin Orthop Relat Res. Jun 1996(327):238-246.
2. Tower SS, Currier JH, Currier BH, Lyford KA, Van Citters DW, Mayor MB. Rim cracking of the cross-linked longevity polyethylene acetabular liner after total hip arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. Oct 2007;89(10):2212-2217.
3. Epidemiology A. Cobalt Toxicity in Two Hip Replacement Patients. State of Alaska Epidemiology Bulletin. May 28, 2010 2010(Bulletin No. 14).
4. Tower S. Arthroprosthetic cobaltism: identification of the at-risk patient. Alaska Med. Sep 2010;52:28-32.
5. Tower SS. Arthroprosthetic cobaltism: neurological and cardiac manifestations in two patients with metal-on-metal arthroplasty: a case report. J Bone Joint Surg Am. Dec 1 2010;92(17):2847-2851.
6. Tower SS. Arthroprosthetic cobaltism associated with metal on metal hip implants. Bmj. 2012;344:e430.
7. Tower SS. Bad Bearings: Lessons learned from failures of this generation of MoM hip implants. AAOS Now. February 2011;Volume 8, Number 2.
8. Kelly T, Bauer S, Tower SS. Will the Real Expert Please Stand Up? Power, Credibility and Expertise in Medical Discours. 3rd Annual Values in Medicine, Science, and Technology Conference May, 2013; http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/9777/1/Power,_Knowledge_and_Credibiliy.pdf.
9. Estey MP, Diamandis EP, Van Der Straeten C, Tower SS, Hart AJ, Moyer TP. Cobalt and Chromium Measurement in Patients with Metal Hip Prostheses. Clinical chemistry. 2013;59(6):880-886.
10. Sotos JG, Tower SS. Systemic disease after hip replacement: aeromedical implications of arthroprosthetic cobaltism. Aviation, space, and environmental medicine. Mar 2013;84(3):242-245.